The North India 1000 Guineas has seven contestants in the fray, three of which appear to be totally out of depth as far as capabilities go. The main contestants are going to be GIN AND TONIC winner of six races including one in the highest class, MANDJI winner of a million race last year & STUNNING ROSE who was the most impressive winner in her last start. The distance & the fact that MANDJI has always got the better of STUNNING ROSE in last season make her the obvious choice to win this rich race.
POINTERS AND SELECTIONS
1. ASHWA PRAGYA has good breeding for Delhi standards though the sire PLACERVILLE is siring quite ordinary crops in the last couple of years. He was a comfortable 2nd to TAKE A CHANCE. RAWSON is the best bred son of black type producing NIGHT OF GAIETY , being half brother to speedy PERSEPHONE, STAR PROFILE who won a million & STAR OF GAIETY, the choice of the jockey indicates that the colt may be out for inaugral airing only. SARIR was a faraway 3rd but has the best jockey and is likely to be fighting out. TURKISH DOLL appears to be the most painstakingly prepared, the grand dam ALL GOLD was a very speedy one.
2. NORTHERN PRINCE was looking a winner long way from the finish in last run, the jockey's over confidence was the undoing of a good thing getting beaten on the post. Though the field appears very moderate this sprinting distance does not suit. AMAZING DANCER a winner of 7 races in his career has done nothing for a long time since moving to Delhi from South. GO is tracking regularly, may go all the way. RAPID FIRE is yet to come to hand.
3. TAKE A CHANCE was a comfortable winner in maiden's race. He is running against a very weak opposition & is likely to be the favorite. Normally in Delhi winners of maiden's race flop in class IV on next attempt but the opposition gives a chance. ROSEVELT the aged sprinter has a try jockey. ELEGANT FASHION is very well prepared but has the jockey is a second of Rajinder, the best local rider.
TAKE A CHANCE-ELEGANT FASHION
4. GIN AND TONIC is at the best handicap rating but it has not run with classy types. MANDJI has beaten STUNNING ROSE fair and squre all three times they raced together last season. STUNNING ROSE looks improved but has a tough task on hand. QUALITY ASSURANCE has been a failure story except for the one fluke win last season against good horses.
5. SENEGAL & THE ROCK clash once again. Over 1200 m SENEGAL had hit the front and lasted out while in receipt of 5 Kgs last season. This season it ran away as a good thing while in receipt of 1 Kgs, though it is most likely that THE ROCK was not ON this time. The later went on to win a laboured race while in receipt of 8 Kgs from FAURTIES. Now if I am to remember SENEGAL had thrashed FAURTIES by a big margin last season.To sum up SENEGAL appears more improved and should be the one all have to catch. MURBAN who is in fine trim is ready to strike any day. GANDIVA will be hoping to place again.
6. LAND CRUISER has been well prepared. DAGGER'S POINT is in fine form and working well. ROMARIO is showing signs of coming to hand. CONFIDENTIAL LADY was given a soft ride by this jcockey last time, may not be ON again.
DAGGER'S POINT-LAND CRUISER-ROMARIO
DOUBLE========MANDJI & DAGGER'S POINT
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 11:05 AM