P S-A good number of horses who have failed to make impression at Mumbai have been finding their way to Delhi. A look back along the years confirms the belief that such horses tend to deliver here as they could not pace up in better company at the prime racing centre. Today’s card has a lots of such horses in most races.
1. The serious contenders here are ASHWA SHAURYA, who has the fly in jockey, RAWSON who has the best pedigree and CELESTIAL CAT who has taken time to come to hand. ASHWA SHAURYA nearly won in his previous runs and may be able to win from CELESTIAL CAT who is bound to improve after her inaugural run.
ASHWA SHAURYA-CELESTIAL CAT
2. Four runners here have raced in western circuit sometimes or the other. The youngest FIRE QUEEN who has been on board at Mumbai has the N Lagad 2nd string jockey on unfamiliar Delhi turf who may be able to shake off the local hopefuls. AFREEN looks the best prepared on tracks and the last run was beyond her compass distance wise.. ZUETINA was amazingly lethargic in last run after a good 2nd in her first attempt here.
3. JUST LIKE A WOMAN has been a heart-breaker by not being able to deliver in last couple of runs over her pet distances. The fact is she belongs to non gambling owner who are breeders also and was false favorite in races won by her stable mates at cozy odds. That is the way racing is at the capital. Today the top jockey rides her over an unsuitable distance and what can we assume? MIDDLEMAN has not won the whole season and may be able to deliver as he is tracking well. SOLITARY MAN was looking good on handicap in last run, the rookie jockey managed to loose his foothold in the stirrups to run him out of money on place even, today the average jockey atop is no consolation. TAPIS won very well, repeat of an aged horse is difficult in heat of Delhi.
JUST LIKE A WOMAN-SOLITARY MAN-MIDDLE MAN
4. DOON BOY from a very ordinary sire has made lots of money for his owners, he is bound to earn more in current form. ZABARDAST has raced for win in all his endeavors and even today he will be in fray with the well performing try jockey. MURBAN has been brought down, belongs to gambling type connections, looks worth it on tracks and compares very favorably vis a vis Z’DAST based on previous clash. MORE THAN A WOMAN has the handicap advantage if ridden well she can shock, but it is rare for non gambling connections to rake up doubles.
MURBAN-MORE THAN A WOMAN-ZABARDAST
5. Just a couple of months back ARGENTINA was the raging favorite and days best of many tipsters at Mumbai. Ex trainer P Shroff got her to win and was in a hurry to sell her off and now she lands at Delhi and is again likely to be favored to win because of her superior blood-lines and the weak company over a distance which none except CAVALARY BRIGADE has ever won before. Yet the question remains as to what was the hurry to sell her off, wait and watch. CAVALARY BRIGADE was himself a discard from Jodha’s stables a couple of years back, he was not "on" in last run, can deliver if ARGENTINA doesn’t like the backward track of the capital or the simmering heat for that matter. NYMPHETMINE and REAL SCOTCH may get up to be on board.
6. WILD WIND may falter at this distance. MARMARIS has been given gates, the distance looks uncomfortable. TOM’S RIVER belongs to owners based at Mysore who have registered two shock wins ( even the hapless trainer was surprised) this season, may run well. CROSSWORD can repeat if he doesn’t bolt in his customary style. TIME AND AGAIN is in some form and lower class winner MIRACLE MAKER a hopeful for shock victory. A very tricky field with no real contender, make your own choice here
MELODY MAKER-TIME AND AGAIN-MARMARIS
DAYS BEST====CAVALARY BRIGADE
DOUBLE======ASHWA SHAURYA and MURBAN
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 11:42 AM